Wednesday, September 21, 2005

"...makes me want to vomit"

37º32.153' N
9º22.245' W

Later last night, as I was doing the watch from 4 AM to 7 AM, I started feeling nauseous again. It was brought on by the strong wind and five-foot swells in the ocean. I didn't throw up, but as each wave relentlessly hit the boat, I scowled at it and silently yelled, "[Expletive] you, wave!" It actually helped a little.

I found out from yesterday's experiences that being tired, cold, or hungry can bring on or exacerbate a bout of seasickness. After learning this and actively taking measures against any of those three conditions, I have been doing quite well. I even went up to the bow and helped put on the gennaker today, which is a large triangular sail, set on a spar and used to increase speed in light winds.

It's a pretty sail:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

don't forget dehydration...that will definitely make you more likely to get sea sick

9/27/2005 2:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home