Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Lisbon

We are staying in Lisbon until Sunday, which gives me time to adjust both to the jetlag and to living on a boat. I slept a solid ten hours last night, so I think I'm already over the jetlag. And so far I'm fine with living on the boat, but then, we haven't left port yet :)

I accompanied Robert this morning to El Corte Ingles, a shopping market in the middle of the city, to start making a list of what rations we should get. We will go back later this week to buy the food for the crossing -- even though we aren't crossing the Atlantic until late December, once we leave Lisbon there will not be as big of a variety of food or at lower prices anywhere else, so we are stocking up now. I was relieved by the abundance of familiar food on Robert's shopping list; I was a little nervous after eating only bread and water on the boat yesterday.

After the supermarket, I went off on my own and spent the afternoon exploring the city. The climate and vegetation here remind me of southern California - very dry and warm. It got a little bit hot this afternoon, somewhere between 85 and 90 degrees, but all in all a very pleasant day. I didn't feel like doing any sightseeing and was content to just wander around. I ended up walking the length of the wide and shaded Avenida da Liberdade, which ends in the touristy Baixa district, where I was promptly greeted by people offering to sell me hash. I politely declined, of course.

I came back to the boat and spent the afternoon reading, listening to music, and editing photos. Robert went over the various safety and security devices on the boat with me. His girlfriend Anne flew into town at 10 PM, and we had a nice dinner on the pier, which included pate, goat cheese, and port. She is visiting for the next few days and will be leaving on Sunday. We will be celebrating her birthday on Friday. She brought with her a whole bunch of chocolate and candy from Belgium. I like Anne!

That's about it. Nothing too exotic yet, but hopefully some more adventurous entries will be forthcoming soon.

Below are some pictures:

First, some pictures of Errance, as promised.











Dublin from the plane.


Some city in Portugal. I thought it was Lisbon, but then it was another 30 min. before we landed, so it was probably Porto or AlcobaƧa.


And lastly, the Golden Gate Bridge! Er, rather, it's the Ponte 25 de Abril in Lisbon, which is actually modeled after the Golden Gate Bridge. It looks sort of like San Fran, doesn't it? Well, ignoring the giant statue of Jesus on the other side...


That's all I have for now. Uploading pics on a cellphone is s-l-o-w (and possibly expensive), so I might have to wait until I get to an internet cafe to upload more.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

of course...

9/14/2005 8:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

umm, aren't there supposed to be more buildings in Dublin? Last time I was there it wasn't all green fields :-)

9/14/2005 11:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude, i can't believe you're not going to make it to poker tomorrow night. man...

9/15/2005 9:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home